Electrical & Appliance Fire Safety

electrical fire safety, lint in dryer

Many home fires are caused by improper use or maintenance of appliances and electrical components. Please use the following tips to help keep your family and property safe from electrical and appliance fires.


Electrical Tips

Plug only one heat-producing appliance (such as coffee maker, space heater, or microwave) directly into a wall outlet at a time.
Extension cords should only be used temporarily. Have an electrician install additional wall outlets where you need them.
Never use an extension cord with a heat-producing appliance.
Don't overload extension cords or wall outlets.
Avoid putting cords where they can be damaged or pinched, like under a carpet or rug.
Power strips should always be plugged into the wall and never plugged into another power strip or extension cord.
Use power strips that have internal overload protection.
Check your electrical cords. If they are cracked or damaged, replace them after discarding the damaged cord. Don't try to repair them.
Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
Electrical work should only be done by a qualified electrician.


Clothes Dryer Tips


Read manufacturer's instructions and warnings in use and care manuals that come with new dryers.
Clean your dryer lint filter after every use. Clean your dryer vent pipe every three months.
Don't leave a clothes dryer running if you leave home or when you go to bed.
Keep the area clean around the clothes dryer free of items that can burn.
Don't dry items that have come into contact with anything flammable like alcohol, cooking oils or gasoline. Dry them outdoors or in a well-ventilated room, away from heat.


All Appliances


Always follow the manufacturer's recommendations regarding installation, operation and maintenance of the appliance.
Immediately replace an appliance that shows signs of damage or overheating.