We are the Sanitation Department, and we pick up your garbage! If you have any questions or concerns about trash collection in Jonesboro, please call us at 870-932-7520.
You have a designated trash pickup day. On that day we will collect your household trash, recycled items, and yard waste. We run collection routes Monday through Friday. If there is a holiday, or we have had bad weather that keeps our trucks off the road, we will adjust our pickup schedule. Please follow the City's Facebook page: City of Jonesboro Arkansas Official Page to keep informed about when we will be adjusting our collection schedule.
When you first move to a residence in Jonesboro, give us a call so we can make sure you have a trash cart. Please do not put loose garbage and trash in the cart. It can really make a mess when we dump the cart into the truck. Put your household trash in trash bags, and then put the bags in the cart.
Put the cart at the curb no later than 6:00am on your designated day, and we'll collect your garbage!
What do we pickup? And when?
Household Trash—Collected on your usual trash pickup day according to the schedule.
You just need to put your bagged household trash in the cart we give you. You should put the cart out no later than 6:00 a.m. on your designated collection day. Most residents put their cart out the night before. You can’t leave your cart at the curb, so please take it back to your house after we have dumped it. We use automated collection trucks, so we will not pick up any loose trash or bags of trash that are not in the cart. Trash carts need to be five (5) feet away from mailbox and vehicles, and NOT sitting under a basketball goal or high line wires.
- Garbage and trash normally generated at home
- Place trash in bags—place bags in cart
- Liquid paint of any kind
- Liquids, especially flammable ones like gasoline or kerosene
- Tires, oil, batteries, or similar automotive-related items
- Anything that could explode or cause a fire
- Compressed gas cylinders (except normal aerosol cans from household products) - Ammunition, black powder, or blasting agents
- Construction waste (boards, drywall, carpet, wood scraps, insulation, etc.) - Rocks, bricks, mortar, concrete or similar materials
- Yard waste (grass clippings, leaves, sticks, twigs, etc.)
YARD WASTE— Is picked up twice monthly on your trash collection day.
However, it is best to take your yard waste directly to the city incinerator located at 2650 Lacy Drive for faster service.
Several years ago the State of Arkansas outlawed putting yard waste in landfills. That's why you can't put yard waste in your trash cart. We take your yard waste to our facility where some of it is turned into mulch that you can get, and some of it is burned in our incinerator.
If you need to get rid of yard waste, you can put it in either a paper bag, or in a reusable container. If you use a container, it should be no larger than a 32 gallon trash can and write on the outside of container "YARD WASTE". In fact, that's what most folks use. Please, for our workers' sake, make sure your bags or containers weigh no more than 20 pounds.
- Garden clippings
- Leaves Plant-related, 'green' material
- Sticks larger than 2' long or 3" in diameter
- Anything that is not plant-related
Tree Limbs—Picked up once monthly on trash collection day.
However, it is best to take your tree limbs directly to the city incinerator located at 2650 Lacy Drive for faster service.
The Sanitation Department will pick up tree limbs from your curb for no charge. It takes more time and attention to deal with large limbs and branches. The trucks will work in a certain trash pickup area until it has been served, then move on to the next. To inquire about limb pickups, call 870-932-7520.
Tree limbs need to be no larger than 10 feet long and 8 inches across. Please, no stumps, trunks, rocks, or dirt.
Large or bulky items—Dispose at the landfill.
The City will not collect large or bulky items like furniture. These items can be taken directly to the Legacy Landfill, located off Highway 1 South and County Road 476. (map)
For more information, contact Legacy Landfill at
- Why wasn’t my trash picked up?
- What do we do with glass?
- What items are recyclable?
- How do I purchase a recycling cart?
- When is yard waste collection?
- When is recycling collection?
- How do I dispose of tree limbs?
- Is there a place I can take tree limbs, brush, grass or leaves?
- How do I dispose of fencing, construction material, furniture, appliances, bedding, computers, and etc?
- How much does Legacy Landfill charge?
- How do I dispose of paint?
- What is the address of the recycling center?
- What do I do if I have extra trash?
- When should I place limbs curbside?
- What if my cart has a hole in it, missing wheels, lid?
- My cart stinks can I get a new one?
- Do I own my cart?